Wednesday, February 8, 2023

82 is Too Old to be President

I thought Biden’s State of the Union speech last night was OK. Biden looked energetic, he gave the speech well, he even looked relaxed and to be enjoying himself. Vice President Harris did her Mike Pence imitation more convincing than Mike Pence. Kevin McCarthy couldn’t stop smiling; seeing himself as the Speaker of the House and was even cordial and correct not showing any of the Trump shit he talked to get there.

It was the usual Biden speech talking about his accomplishments and then it went on and on and he was still only talking about what he had done. He made the usual bows to bi-partisanship and getting things done, but it was apparent to everyone including Biden that this Republican Congress is not going to do a single thing with Biden. There were some good jabs at the coming Debt Ceiling crisis and some exchange between him and the Republican crazies, now leaders in the McCarthy’s House. This morning in the papers I got it, he challenged the Republicans as the Party that wants to eliminate Social Security and Medicare. “Liar!” the Rudes screamed. He countered, a readied retort, that it was nice to see they’ve converted. Nice move Joe.  Biden 1, Marjorie Taylor Green 0.

There was nothing about future policy, things he can do and will do, for the coming year. He did lay out the intent to continue backing Ukraine against hesitant Republican opposition originating in the Putin admiring Republican right, formerly the extreme right wing.

Biden did a good job of demonstrating that even at 80 years old he can give a good speech and is with a script and some rehearsed retorts and quips still sharp. He is running for President in 2024 and this was as close to a campaign speech as he’s given yet. It’s the same old speech but up until now it sounded like an activist President pushing his agenda.  Last night was a campaign speech.  

Biden is a lifelong stutterer and mangling Schummer’s position, Majority Leader, not Minority Leader, was acceptable stumbling, embarrassing, but not fatal. He looks and moves frailly but heck he’s 80 years old. If he were a friend, he’d be described as 80 but still sharp. It was painful to watch him glad hand his way out of the House. I held my breath hoping he wouldn’t get knocked over in the press of members wanting to shake his hand.

I’m 76 years old and I hope my family describes me “but still sharp.” I tell myself most people are surprised to learn how old I actually am. So far I don’t move frail, particularly if anyone is watching.  

I will not vote for Biden under any circumstances. That is until November and it’s a choice between him and a Republican. Then I have no choice, but I will work hard before that to see the Democrats have a younger, more vigorous and less dated candidate than Uncle Joe. 82 is too old. I think it’s almost inevitable that a President starting his term at 82 is going to end up like Wilson, Reagan or Feinestein, just a shell of themselves before their term ends. I reluctantly admit no one could have been better for Speaker than Nancy Polosi, but she is the exception not the rule and even Nancy is stepping down at 82.

So Trump is almost as old. Trump is a demagogue. Demagogues go until they die. If the Republicans want a demagogue it doesn’t make any difference to me who it is. The Party is suffering from dementia, so why shouldn’t their candidate?

I felt this way three years ago and yes, Uncle Joe has done a good job and may have been the right man at the right time. Thanks.  Now step down. Make room for new leadership. I am not voting for a candidate who will start his term at 82 years old.



No comments:

Post a Comment