I have been thinking about the sailors and pilots carrying out the orders of Operation Southern Spear.
I was a staff sergeant in the Air Force. I know something
about military discipline and I know how difficult it is to refuse an order
from a superior. The whole institution is built around obedience, trust and the
chain of command. Refusing an order is not without consequences and it is not
something service members take lightly or their superiors for that matter.
But there is another principle that is just as important: service
members are required to obey lawful orders, not illegal ones. In fact, military
law requires them to refuse a manifestly unlawful order.
That principle is not new. After World War II, Nuremberg
established that “I was only following orders” is not, by itself, a defense for
criminal conduct. That principle has been incorporated into modern military
law.
In my opinion, Operation Southern Spear is illegal.
If these killings are determined to have been unlawful
extrajudicial killings, responsibility does not stop with the people who gave
the orders. But neither does it mean that every young pilot or sailor who
carried it out is equally guilty.
Responsibility follows the chain of command.
The President and Secretary of Defense who establish the
policy bear the greatest responsibility. So do the senior generals and admirals
who carry it out. I believe their decisions should be
investigated and if criminal conduct is established, prosecuted and
adjudicated in an appropriate court.
There is another thing that troubles me. Trump and Hegseth
are putting our own sailors, pilots and officers in a terrible moral position.
They are asking people who have sworn to uphold the law to carry out orders
that may themselves be unlawful. They are compromising the very people who have
entrusted their lives to the military and asking them to choose between
obedience to their commanders and obedience to their oath.
That is a disservice to the military and to the patriotism
of the people who serve. I am sure there are people in uniform thinking
seriously about this. What a terrible burden to place on them.
Below the senior commanders are the officers and enlisted
personnel who actually carry out the orders. I have sympathy for them. I have
worn the uniform. I know how powerful the obligation to obey can be. Refusing a
superior in a military organization is a test of courage and character that I can’t
say I would have had the courage to pass.
But sympathy does not mean that nothing happened.
If these were unlawful orders, the military should
acknowledge that those who carried them out failed in their responsibility to
refuse them. Their participation should be recorded in their service records and
considered in evaluating them for promotion, particularly to positions of
command and responsibility.
We do not need a purge of the military; we need a reckoning.
After a serious safety crisis, the military stops,
investigates and determines how to keep it from happening again.
Operation Southern Spear deserves that same kind of examination: the oath, the
Uniform Code of Military Justice, the law of armed conflict and the
responsibility of every service member to refuse a manifestly unlawful order.
I know that would be a hard thing to do.
That is precisely why the lesson has to be unmistakable.
Following orders is not a defense.
The people at the top who create an unlawful policy must be
held responsible. But the principle has to reach all the way down the
chain of command.
Otherwise the next unlawful order will be that much easier to give.
Will it happen again?
It has happened once.
No comments:
Post a Comment